About Me

My photo
I'm a Recovering Drama Queen. I got tired of the same old lines.

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Reverse Hit and Run

Over the weekend I was driving Peanut and one of her playmates back to our house after their soccer game. We were stopped at a light. When the light turned green I started to go and so did the cars around me...unfortunately the car in front of me stopped short. Admittedly, I was a little distracted, so I'm not even sure if it was that they stopped short, or that they hadn't started moving yet. Needless to say, I slammed into their rear bumper. It was a pretty light tap thankfully. I pulled over right at the intersection thinking they'd do the same...but they kept going! So I waited through another light and headed past the intersection in the direction they were going. I couldn't find them. Very confused about what to do, so I waited a minute or two and then drove home. The girls were completely unfazed by this incident, thankfully. My front license plate was bent up, but no other damage. When we got home I called the police department to report that I hit someone and that they ran. It was definitely my fault, so either they didn't feel it or they didn't have car insurance (or were illegal, who knows). It was a nice vehicle so that makes it all the more confusing. They said that nobody had reported an incident at that intersection, but better to be on the safe side. I'd hate to think the other driver was waiting for me and thought I ran. Policeman was very nice about it and I'm glad that I called and reported it. When the dad came to pick up his daughter after Peanut's play date I relayed that we were in a minor accident, and of course apologized. It was a humbling experience and I was nearing tears at the thought that it could have been worse than it was. Thank goodness the dad was understanding. Still confused about the reverse hit and run though!

No comments:

Post a Comment